Spirituality, the inner path which helps one discover his/her essence of being. This essence are the values and meanings which people live. This enlightenment can be attained through meditation, prayer, contemplation, and other spiritual practices. These practices center us and connect us to the world around us (be it our fellow man, or the universe).
This can also be called a search for that which is sacred. Art since the beginning of time has dealt with the subject of spirituality across all cultures. People want to connect to and understand that which is larger than us and art is able to express this longing. Art is able to question our assumptions, and reveal universal truths about our beliefs.
Rationale for Teaching
Through the study of art our learners will be introduced to an array of art expressing spirituality. Learners can be taught about different cultures and historical events through spirituality. Through the viewing of artists work, learners can get a sense of how they expressed spirituality. Through this, the learners can express their beliefs and during this be part of the art making process that can be very spiritual in its self.
- Spiritual enlightenment through art
- Expression of the non-materialistic through the material
- Art as a path to spiritual self-discovery
- How can art bring the artist and the viewer enlightenment, or an understanding of the spiritual?
- In what ways do artists use the material to express spirituality?
- How does the journey of creating a work, or viewing an artist's work create a sense of spirituality?